Cooking Safety For Older Adults:
(1) Use oven mitts, not towels, to handle hot pots and pans.
(2) Use caution when cooking with grease – keep burner on a low to medium setting and keep a pan lid in reach
(3) Make sure smoke alarms are in place on each level of your home and replace batteries every 6 months
(4) Have an escape plan if fire breaks out in the home – “two ways out” should always be available.
(1) Wear clothing with loose or large sleeves while cooking
(2) Leave food cooking on the stove unattended
(3) Pour water on a grease fire – use a lid to smother the flames
(4) Cook when you are sleepy or have taken medications that make you drowsy
(5) Ever heat your home using the warmth from a kitchen oven or stove